Connecting Business initiative (CBi) engages the private sector strategically before, during and after emergencies, increasing the scale and effectiveness of the response in a coordinated manner.
While governments maintain the overall responsibility for responding to humanitarian emergencies, local communities and private sector networks also play crucial roles in disaster risk reduction, emergency preparedness, response and recovery. The Connecting Business initiative strengthens and supports those private sector networks.
In the last year eight of the 13 CBi Member Networks responded to emergencies, helping communities to recover quicker.
The Connecting Business initiative was launched at the World Humanitarian Summit in May 2016 and it takes forward the Summit outcomes, as well as the 2030 Development Agenda and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Providing a clear entry point for the private sector to engage in disaster risk reduction, emergency preparedness, response and recovery.
- Mobilizing and connecting partners.
- Supporting the creation and strengthening of private sector-led networks for disaster risk reduction, emergency preparedness, response and recovery.
- Connecting private sector networks at the sub-national, national and regional levels, and among industry and thematic groups, to each other and other actors.
- Integrating the private sector in resilience programs and national disaster management structures.
- Matching private sector capacities and resources to humanitarian needs through local networks.
- Producing tools and delivering programs to build the resilience of businesses and their communities.
- Developing and disseminating good practice on private sector engagement.
- Facilitating policy engagement.
New workstreams in 2018
CBi is a private sector driven and UN-supported initiative. Operational and technical support is provided by United Nations Development Programme and United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs while United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction provides technical advice on disaster risk reduction.