While governments maintain the overall responsibility for responding to natural and manmade disasters, other stakeholders – including the private sector – also play a role in disaster preparedness, response and recovery. Public-private partnerships are therefore critical for effective disaster management.
Partnerships are also the cornerstone of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, more specifically SDG17, and in publications and guidance documents such as the OCHA- WEF led Guiding Principles for Public-Private Collaboration for Humanitarian Action.
In fact, the private sector can help raise awareness of risks, join simulation exercises and other preparedness activities, strengthen business and community resilience, support relief efforts and help rebuild critical infrastructure after disasters. Good examples already exist and could be replicated across the Asia-Pacific region, though more needs to be done to leverage the capacity and capabilities of the private sector.
Objectives of the session
This session will explore policies and practices that enable effective private sector engagement in disaster risk reduction, preparedness, response and recovery. More specifically, the session aims to:
- Discuss common challenges and practical solutions to building an enabling policy environment for private sector engagement in disaster risk reduction, preparedness, response and recovery;
- Highlight good practices on effective public-private partnerships in the Asia- Pacific region;
- Develop recommendations to further encourage policy changes and practices to support public-private collaboration in disaster management.
The session is open to all registered participants of the ESCAP Disaster Resilience Week. With a focus on multi-stakeholder collaboration, the session provides an opportunity for governments, international organizations, civil society and the private sector to discuss progress and solutions to foster public-private partnerships.
12:00 – 12:05 Welcome remarks
Tiina Mylly, CBi Secretariat
12:05 – 12:15 Setting the scene: Keynote speech on public-private collaboration
Veronica T. Gabaldon, Executive Director, Philippine Disaster ResiliencenFoundation (PDRF) and CBi Member Network Philippines
12:15 – 12:55 Interactive panel discussion
- Sanny Jegillos, Senior Adviser, Disaster Risk Reduction, United Nations
Development Programme (UNDP)
- Michelle Joseph, Information & Communications Officers, Asia Pacific
Alliance for Disaster Management in Sri Lanka (APAD-SL) and CBi
Member Network Sri Lanka
- Eric Roeder, Economic Affairs Officer, United Nations Economic and
Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)
- Thanathorn Sitthipol, Emergency Response & Security Management
System, Sustainable Development office, SCG Packaging
- Moderator: Tiina Mylly, Connecting Business initiative (CBi) Secretariat
12:55 - 13:00 Closing remarks
Elizabeth Petheo, Regional Representative & Associate Principal, Miyamoto International, Inc.