The Connecting Business initiative is supporting strengthened private sector engagement in disaster risk reduction, emergency preparedness, response and recovery in the Pacific region. In 2016, the Connecting Business initiative supported the establishment of the Fiji Business Disaster Resilience Council as part of the Fiji Commerce & Employers Federation. In 2017, a Pacific regional private sector network for resilience was launched to build on the work already undertaken in Fiji and to replicate regional best practice, led by Pacific Islands Private Sector Organisation (PIPSO).
The Pacific regional private sector network will:
- strengthen and support the creation of national private sector networks in the Pacific;
- work with other actors to strengthen the capacity of governments, the UN, NGOs, CSOs and others to engage with the private sector in disaster risk management;
- support the integration of the private sector into regional disaster risk management programs;
- support the programs implemented by national private sector networks in the Pacific;
- undertake programs at the national level in Pacific countries where a stand-alone national private sector network is not feasible;
- provide information on disaster risk management in the Pacific to the private sector;
- facilitate the sharing of information between national networks in the Pacific, including best practice;
- convene regular regional private sector forums on disaster risk management;
- facilitate a coordinated regional private sector response to emergencies when national capacities are exceeded;
- map and monitor private sector engagement in disaster risk management in the Pacific region; and
- mobilize and facilitate a coordinated global private sector response to emergencies in the region.
Disaster-Ready Business Toolkit
The Pacific Region is at risk of many hazards that can become disasters. If you are prepared this will help keep your business open after disaster strikes while also making sure your staff and their families are safe.
Find out how you can reduce risk, be ready, respond accordingly and recover quickly from any disaster as a business through the new Disaster-Ready Business Toolkit available here.