The Fiji Business Disaster Resilience Council, hosted by the Fiji Commerce and Employers Federation, provides a coordination mechanism for private sector to engage with government and partners on resilience building, response and recovery activities. The Council:
- supports businesses, particularly small and medium enterprises, to strengthen their resilience by providing training, tools and guidelines
- integrates the private sector into national disaster management and resilience plans and processes
- collectively lobbies for resources for business training and capacity building
- provides a single entry point and voice for the private sector on issues relating to disasters and resilience
- identifies and engages private sector capacities and resources to respond to emergencies, pre-position agreements in preparation for emergencies and match capacities to humanitarian needs before, during and after emergencies.
The Council provides a platform for businesses to both manage impacts to themselves, and support government and partners to build resilience and respond to disaster events.
The FBDRC was formed in July 2016 in response to a strong desire for improved coordination and private sector engagement during the Tropical Cyclone Winston response and recovery efforts. TC Winston impacted businesses of all sizes and across all sectors, including through the disruption of supply chains and distribution channels, loss of stock and damage to premises. Despite being heavily impacted by the cyclone, a large number of local and regional businesses from a variety of industry sectors made, and continue to make, significant contributions towards the humanitarian response and recovery efforts.
Since its inception, the FBDRC has secured a seat on the Fiji Disaster Management Committee (DISMAC); collaborated with the NDMO to survey 1,200 village heads and map businesses within villages; developed and launched a Business Continuity Planning (BCP) Toolkit and secured funding to undertake a BCP training of trainers for programme across the country.
Membership of the Council is inclusive and is – in addition to the private sector - open to civil society, government and international organisations. The Council meets monthly at the Fiji Commerce and Employers Federation. Establishment of the Council was supported by the Connecting Business Initiative (CBi), in collaboration with the UNDP Pacific Risk Resilience Programme (PRRP).
The Fiji Business Disaster Resilience Council is a member of the newly formed Pacific Business Resilience Network, hosted by the Pacific Islands Private Sector Organisation (PIPSO).