UNDP Seoul Policy Centre (USPC) in partnership with the ROK Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy (MOTIE) and the Korea International Trade Association (KITA) shared concrete examples from ROK on the i) impact of COVID-19 on businesses, industries and SMEs; ii) government measures such as financial and tax support, loans and investment for SMEs and businesses during the pandemic; and iii) the private sector’s response to mitigate and manage risk. It also introduced UNDP’s response and programmes to support SMEs.
- Stephan Klingebiel, Director, UNDP Seoul Policy Centre & Hak-hee Jo, Vice President for International Affairs, Korea International Trade Association: Opening remarks
- Soonmok Kwon, Team Leader, Industrial Policy Division, ROK MOTIE: Impact of COVID-19 on Korean businesses thus far, and ROK government’s policies to support businesses, especially heavily impacted industries and SMEs, during and after the pandemic.
- Jae-Hyung You, CEO, SolGent (Korean SME and producer of COVID-19 test kits): Measures taken to turn the crisis into an opportunity and support the company has received from government that helped mitigate the challenges.
- Jaeho Choi, General Manager, Hyundai Motor Group: Investments in the company’s global or domestic value chain or as CSR activities, to support SMEs (e.g. co-financing with the government to create a guarantee fund to support auto parts makers).
- Sahba Sobhani, Istanbul International Center for Private Sector in Development, UNDP: UNDP’s response and programmes to support businesses and SMEs and ways for businesses to participate in and make use of these programmes.
- Q&A Session
Report: Safeguarding economic resilience: In responding to the economic impact of COVID-19 (ROK Ministry of Economy and Finance, 11 Jun 2020)
Video recording: Special Webinar on COVID-19: K-economic Measures (English/French/Spanish) (ROK government ministries, 20 Jun 2020)
Poster: Comprehensive Economic Policy Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic (ROK Ministry of Economy and Finance, 20 Apr 2020)
Report: Responding to COVID-19 - Emergency Employment Measures (ROK Ministry of Employment and Labor, 20 May 2020)
Booklet: Korean New Deal: National Strategy for a Great Transformation (ROK Ministry of Economy and Finance, 20 Jul 2020)
Photo: UNDP Turkey